Saturday, June 7, 2014

First Cake of the Summer!



Wonderful, moist cakes topped off with the perfect frosting are my joy in life. I can't think of a better way to celebrate summer than to make a classic yellow cake. But what makes a cake (in my opinion at least) is the perfect pairing of frosting. Light cakes should be paired with a whipped frosting and dense cakes require something more buttery.
The cake recipe included a whipped cream frosting, but when I tried it, the frosting was just too light for a dense cake. So I dug for a chocolate frosting recipe I used for my clementine cake that was just perfect.
So...I proceeded to scrape off the initial frosting and replace it with the new one. I'm nuts, but I'm nuts about frosting.
My HG Chocolate Frosting
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
4-5 cups powdered sugar (I like to go lighter on the powdered sugar and heavier on the cocoa)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 tablespoons milk 
DIRECTIONS:
Whip butter and cocoa together until smooth in large bowl. Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar. Slowly stream in milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Scrape sides and whip again until light, fluffy and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Frosts 1-9 or 8 inch round layered cake or 24 cupcakes. 
Simple & delicious.

~ 0 comments: ~

~ Post a Comment ~